The William IV Gatehouse Stone Repair Project
The William IV Gatehouse is a Grade II* structure constructed in Portland and Bath Stone, it was completed in 1832 to designs by Joseph Good.
The current phase of work was prompted by cracked and seemingly vulnerable stone. An initial investigation was carried out by cherry picker and loose stone was removed to make the structure safe.
The main project is now underway with scaffold providing full access. Specialists have carried out a non-intrusive façade survey to identify the locations of embedded metalwork so that the areas can be monitored in the future for movement and cracking. The stonework has been cleaned with a conservation steam clean and eroded stone and loose pointing are being replaced with new to match the existing.
The structure has many interesting details, including small carved lions on the north-facing elevation.