Victorian role play
90mins, onsite, KS2
Find out all about homes in the past in Brighton’s most famous Victorian manor house.
It’s 1897 and Butler Benjamin Beesley is recruiting new servants. Submit your letter of application and come to the Manor as his staff put you to task in the house with daily duties. Make the bed, polish the silver, beat the rugs and much more. Find out what life was really like for Victorian servants in a grand house.
Will you get the job?
Preparation for a trip back in time
Please do all come dressed as Victorian servants – adults included.
You can all give yourselves Victorian names as well.
You will all be in role and treated as Victorians from the moment you enter the house.
The children are invited to wite letters of application in the voice of their Victorian child character for the position of footman, oddman, housemaid or kitchen maid. Please address to Mr Beesley.
The letters can be handed to us upon arrival.
- Footman – responsible for answering the door, laying the table and cleaning the silver.
- Kitchenmaid – assists Cook to prepare meat and vegetables, cleans the range and scrubs tables.
- Fourth Maid – responsible for cleaning family and servants’ rooms, laying fires and making beds.
- Oddman – chops wood, brings in coal, does odd jobs, and serves the servants’ dinner
- We will be using lemons and bicarbonate of soda during the session please let us know if anyone has any allergies.
Aims of the Session
- To enjoy your time with us
- To bring the past to life
- To take part in some of the daily tasks of the servants of the Manor
- To find out more about how people lived and worked in the past
KS2: Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality, a local history study, a significant turning point in British history