Situations Vacant – Victorian role play
2 hours, onsite, KS2
It’s 1897 and housekeeper Mrs. Story is recruiting new servants. Complete your letter of application in school and then come to the Manor as her staff put you to task in the house with daily duties. Listen to their stories about life and homes in the past in Brighton. Will you get the job?
What does the session include?
Children will find out what life was really like for Victorian servants in a grand house. They are invited to come dressed as a servant applying for a job as a lower servant and to fully immerse themselves in role.
• Please let us know of any SEN/D needs of your class before your visit.
• Please ensure suitable adult supervision.
Aims of the Session
- To enjoy your time with us
- To bring the past to life
- To take part in some of the daily tasks of the servants of the Manor
- To find out more about how people lived and worked in the past
KS2: Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality, a local history study, a significant turning point in British history
- Situations Vacant Victorian Role Play Teacher Information [PDF]
- Blog post about a Preston Manor butler