Godai: Japanese Woodcuts
6 May to 12 November 2023
This charming exhibition of Japanese woodcut prints is a reflection on the five elements known as Godai: earth, water, fire, wind and void.
Showing exceptional mastery of line and colour, these rarely shown Japanese woodblock prints were expertly crafted by some of the great 19th Century masters such as Hokusai, Kunisada, Eizan and Hiroshige.
In Japanese Buddhist philosophy, each Godai has a particular characteristic that makes up a part of the whole universe. With these timeless elements in mind, we can explore the meaning of life, the universe and everything through these exquisite, printed images.
- Japanese Shibori resist stitching with indigo dyeing – Saturday 24 June
- Welcome to the world of Manga – Sunday 25 June
- Origami workshop: Paper Wings – Thursday 6 July
- Introduction to Calligraphy with Mari Maeda – Saturday 8 July
- Block printing inspired by Japanese prints – Sunday 16 July
- Lantern making workshop – Thursday 27 July
- Godai: Japanese woodcuts exhibition gallery tour – Thursdays 6 & 27 July