Learn more about our collections and the history of Brighton & Hove by taking our Story Drop smartphone app for a walk.
Story Drop is a way of discovering the hidden histories and surprising stories scattered across the city. Like a treasure hunt, it will guide you to locations across Brighton & Hove. Travelling to those spots will allow you to unlock a story about that place, as told by objects from our collections.
- Dr Brighton’s War: developed to accompany our 2014 Dr Brighton’s War exhibition on Brighton seafront, a tour of the original sites and buildings used for the care and rehabilitation of wounded First World War soldiers.
- Heritage at Hand: a sample tour of objects scattered across Brighton & Hove
- Crime and Punishment in Brighton:a tour by Jennifer Drury of the My Brighton & Hove community website. Jennifer explores the darker side of Brighton’s history, with tales of an embezzling banker, a notorious hangman, and the infamous trunk murders of 1934.
- Brighton Festival History Hunt: for May 2014 a short tour of four Festival venues in the city centre. What histories are hidden in their walls?
- Histories of the Never Happened: discover how Brighton & Hove may have looked very different today, if some of these ambitious schemes had come to pass.
- Turner in Brighton: a tour written by Dr Sue Berry, exploring Brighton as it would have appeared to the artist JMW Turner when he visited the town in the 1820s
- Whitehawk Camp Community Project: a tour exploring the Neolithic camp located in east Brighton. Written by volunteers working on this HLF funded community archaeology project.
- Pavilion Estate tour: take a peek at the hidden histories of the buildings and grounds that make up the Royal Pavilion estate
You can learn more about the idea behind Story Drop on our blog, along with some tips on how to use it. We would also like to know your opinion of the app and any suggestions for improvements.