The Chattri Memorial is dedicated to the memory of the Indian soldiers who died in Brighton’s military hospitals during the First World War.
The Chattri is located on the South Downs near Patcham. It stands on a spot where 53 Sikhs and Hindus were cremated, but it also remembers a further 19 Muslims who died in Brighton but were buried in Woking.
The memorial was unveiled on 1 February 1921 by the Prince of Wales. An annual remembrance ceremony takes place here on the second week of June.
More images are available to view and download on our Digital Media Bank.