Frequently asked questions about weddings at the Royal Pavilion
- How many people can be accommodated for a ceremony and reception?
The Red Drawing Room where the ceremonies are held can seat 44; this includes the couple and two witnesses. Due to the historic nature of the room we cannot allow any guests to stand. The Music Room which is now available for evening ceremonies can seat 90. The William IV reception room can seat up to 60, or 80 guests for a standing reception.
- What days of the week and times do you hold ceremonies?
In the Red Drawing Room ceremonies can take place any day of the week and the ceremony times available for Friday and Saturday are as follows: 11am, 12.30, 2, 3.30 or 5pm. The rest of the week we can be flexible on timings. The Music Room can only be hired in the evenings.
- Who conducts the ceremony?
The ceremony is conducted by the Brighton & Hove Registrars and you will need to contact them directly on 01273 294421 to arrange this.
- How long does the ceremony take and how long will we be at the Royal Pavilion?
The ceremony takes approximately 20–30 minutes and allowing time for photography you will be on site 1–1.5 hours.
- Where can we have photographs taken and what happens if it rains?
The couple can have their photographs taken in the Music Room and group shots can be on either the east lawn or private Kings lawn, both areas have covered terraces that can be used if it rains.
- Is there parking on site?
We can provide parking for one car. The nearest car parks are the Theatre car park in Church Street or The Lanes car park off the seafront.
- Are we able to have a party with music and dancing? Due to the nature of the building we are able to offer you a Wedding breakfast but not a party, however the Dome and Corn exchange, which is located across the gardens, does have great spaces for parties: http://brightondome.org/conferences_hires/weddings/
- Can we provide our own catering and drinks?
No, due to our conservation directives the palace catering is supplied by your choice of one of our three local preferred suppliers. All are familiar with the building and offer a wide range of menu options and prices to suit all budgets and requirements. Download the Approved Caterers list for the the Royal Pavilion & Museums [PDF]
- Can we serve drinks in the gardens?
No, the gardens are part of the ‘Designated Public Places Order 2001 for the St James Street Area of Brighton, East Sussex’, which prohibits the consumption of alcohol in public areas.
- Can our guests throw confetti?
No, in line with many other historic venues conservation policies, we don’t allow the use of confetti of any kind (including bio-degradable, rose petals and rice) within the buildings and grounds.
Download a copy of Royal Pavilion Weddings – Frequently Asked Questions
If you have further questions or require more information please contact us:
Tel: 03000 290905