Search Results (327 items found)
Neolithic This is a flint end scraper. Formed on a small flint blade, it has been finely retouched along its edges and at both ends. It was probably made in the Mesolithic, although may be later, and was found at Balsdean, Brighton & Hove.
This is a flint flake, roughly chipped along both edges with a notch removed from one edge all of which may be the result of plough damage. It was made in the Neolithic and was found at Selham, West Sussex.
This large, grey, pear-shaped pebble is likely to be a ?rubbing stone? or pestle. It may have had several functions, but it is likely to have been used for smoothing textiles, ?polishing? surfaces or grinding foodstuffs. It was unearthed at Whitehawk Neol
These are two flint hammerstones, spherical in shape both with signs of flake removal, so may have been re-utilised as cores. They were probably made in the Neolithic and were found near Newhaven, East Sussex.
This is a flint 'pot-boiler', a spherical flint nodule or pebble showing signs of fire/heat cracking on its surface and which may have been used to heat water. It is from the Neolithic or Bronze Age and was found in Sussex.
View looking south with Royal York Buildings on the right. Women in red and yellow dresses are walking in the Steine gardens. The Victoria fountain is central.
Monochrome postcard photograph taken from the West Pier showing a crowded Brighton beach. Handwritten on the reverse, 'We have arrived in Brighton, the weather is lovely ...' Postmarked 14 May 1925.
Colour postcard showing St Peter's Church in Brighton, with horse-drawn carriage to the right. Handwritten message on reverse and postmarked stamp, 5.30 PM, May 11, 06
Monochrome postcard showing St Nicholas's Church in Brighton. Handwritten message on reverse, dated 19.5.05. ' Dear Leslie, Just a line ...' and postmarked stamp, 5.30 PM, May 19, 05
This case containing six mounted Lapwings shows the specimens in a setting that is a recreation of their natural surroundings. The birds were obtained by Edward Thomas Booth in East Lothian, Scotland in May, 1867.