Monochrome photographic print of the front of Palladium Cinema, Brighton, c. 1912: The Palladium Cinema stood on the junction of King's Road with the former Russell Street. Designed by Frank Matcham, it seated 1200 people and opened on 29 October 1888 as the Alhambra Opera House and Music Hall. On 6 April 1912 it reopened as the Grand Cinema de Luxe or Palladium Cinema. In 1936 a new Art Deco facade was built and the cinema was renamed the Odeon until 1937 when the West Street Odeon opened. The Palladium finally closed in May 1956 and the site is now part of the Brighton Centre.