This black and white photographic print shows construction work on the Gaiety cinema in Lewes Road, Brighton. It is a view of the front of the cinema with numerous workmen in evidence. The Gaiety opened in April 1937. Unusually for a Brighton cinema, it was sited away from the main tourist areas. The position of the Gaiety suggests it was intended to attract audiences from suburban housing estates such as those in Moulsecoomb. Although its location may have been less fashionable than its competitors, the Gaiety was still an ambitious and lavishly decorated building. Designed by Frederick W Morgan, the cinema contained around 1400 seats and a substantial car park. The building's facade was decorated with neon lights over 15 metres high, while the interior featured a dome that was lit with a dynamic light display. After numerous changes in name and ownership, the Gaiety closed in 1979. The building was demolished in the early 1980s.