Thanks to the generosity of the late Barbara Curd née Coombes, a writing table made for George, Prince of Wales, in about 1810 has returned to the Royal Pavilion. The mahogany writing table was removed from the Royal Pavilion by Queen Victoria between 1845 and 1850 and given by her to her third son Prince Arthur, later Duke of Connaught ( 1850-1942). The Duke had a distinguished military career, rising to the rank of Field Marshall. He spent part of each year at Bagshot Park, Surrey or at Clarence House, London. The table was probably used at one or both of these residences.
The Duke died at Bagshot on 16 January 1942, nursed in his last years by Charlotte Haskins (1897-1965 ). At some point he gave the table as a present to his nurse and it descended to Barbara Curd (1919-2011) who wished to leave it to the Royal Pavilion in memory of her aunt, Charlotte Haskins.
The table is marked on the underside PAVILION and carries the monogram of George IV. It is possible that it was made by the royal cabinet makers Tatham, Bailey and Sanders.
Keeper of the Royal Pavilion