Our Statement of Purpose
The Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove aims to inspire, illuminate and challenge its visitors and virtual users. It does this by caring for and interpreting its outstanding collections and historic sites to support discovery, enjoyment and learning.
RPM has a vital role in the cultural, economic, education and social life of the city, and the health and wellbeing of its citizens. It celebrates the city and its communities, helping generate civic pride and develop a sense of cultural identity, as well as building respect and understanding of others. It is a cultural industry employing a wide range of creative experts including curators, conservators, decorative artists, designers, artists, makers, teachers, actors and writers. It is a major tourist attraction supporting the city’s visitor economy. It plays a role in the knowledge economy through research, creating and disseminating knowledge through exhibition, display, publication, public learning and event programmes. It also provides inspiration, influence and a stepping off point for creative production both locally, nationally and internationally. It operates in a digital world making collections and knowledge available on line and providing a platform for user generated content and debate.
Our strategic Forward Plan sets out Brighton & Hove City Council’s vision and ambitions for the Royal Pavilion & Museums: the services it provides to the community and the role it plays in supporting the visitor economy.
The Plan provides an overview of the history of the buildings and the collections for which the Royal Pavilion & Museums has responsibility. It provides the strategic context in which the service operates at a local level and sets out some of the key recommendations from national policy documents that are driving changes and improvements to the sector.
Other policies and statements
- Access Policy Statement 2013-15 [PDF]
- Care and Conservation Plan 2013 [PDF]
- Collection Development Policy 2013 [PDF]
- Conservation Policy Statement 2013 [PDF]
- Collection Documentation and Information Policy Statement 2013 [PDF]
- Environmental Policy Statement 2013 [PDF]
- Care and Treatment of Human Remains Policy (revised 2009) [PDF]
- Note on Return of Indigenous Australian Human Remains 2009 [PDF]
- Child and Young Person Safeguarding Policy 2016-17 [PDF]
- Volunteer Strategy and Policy 2008 [PDF]